Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Eco-dyes

I've been eco-dyeing with my friend Sophia.  This is my first attempt - last night, we dyed pieces of cotton fabric, but Sophia also does beautiful work with new wool and silk fabrics.  I can't divulge any trade secrets, but you can see that different eucalypt leaves figure prominently.  The leaves print with astonishing clarity right down to the veins, thanks to their own natural pigments.  The colours can vary from soft greens and greys through to browns and quite intense reds.

Getting the dye right requires a lot of experimentation, which luckily I didn't have to do, as Sophia has done the hard work.  I'm happy to say, though, that in the past I did the experimental work with glass, and Sophia made things in my kiln, so the creative exchange has come full circle.  I'm not sure what I'll do with my pieces, which are long runners - I'll probably make a pair of wall hangings.

I also went to life drawing in the morning.  It's hard to say which was more fun.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Gay! Sounds like a very fun and interesting project, and it sounds like you have a great teacher. Love the portrait - he looks so thoughtful and reflective. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great art!!! See my art and follow the blog! :D http://danicampoy.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete