Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Life drawing Tuesday


Today's life drawing session in South Hobart was packed.  Everyone drew well and there was lively discussion due to the full house.  Our model, Alfred, was so popular that we asked him to return and sit for his portrait another day.  If you're looking for life drawing in Hobart, dates and location for sessions are on the left hand side of the blog.

I find this is a form of study I can't do without.  I can throw the drawings away (and do! by the thousand) but the knowledge remains in my mind.  Sometimes by looking through old drawings I find just the right gesture.  In the drawing on the left, I wanted to capture the way Alfred held his head.  Having only a short time to draw is best, as the quickly drawn lines keep their vitality.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday btw!! Hope you had a fab day!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thank you so much Sherry! I have checked out your fabulous post about potato soup and princesses. Whoever thought those two things would be together on a book cover? But she clearly knew a thing or two. Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gay! It's only been about a kajillion years since I visited, because time is flying by at the speed of, well, time I guess, but it seems to be speedily speeding without a care for us humans.

    Beautiful life drawing, wow! I don't think I've seen you do work like this, and you are excellent at it! I keep meaning to find a life drawing class but then that whole aforementioned time flying by thing continues to frustrate me. ;)

    ReplyDelete