Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Be in a Jane Austen novel

If you're in Hobart this Saturday evening (23rd May) and want to feel like you're in a Jane Austen novel, come along to the Grand Regency Ball and Harp Concert at 7.30 pm at the Hobart Town Hall. The Ball is a fundraiser for the Harp Society, who have been invited to perform at a harp festival in France in 2016.  Regency costume is 'admired but not required' (I've been looking out my pearls, fan and shawl), there will be beer and mulled wine available, and everyone is asked to bring a plate of supper to share. Tickets are $25.  The Harp Society will provide the music and the dances will be called so you know what to do, but if you'd like to learn the dances in advance, there's a workshop on Saturday afternoon from 2-4 pm at Wesley Hall in Melville St for $8 each.  The recently rediscovered Mundy's Quadrille will be taught at the workshop only, and those who know it can dance it at the ball.  (I just keep thinking of the Lobster Quadrille, but maybe I'm up for it...)
This is a photo of last year's regency ball to get you in the mood.  You can come cross-dressed or as the downstairs help if you like.  Find your Mr Darcy and put on your dancing shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment