Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Of children's book festivals, Vikings and research vessels


Books in a jar at the launch
Yesterday was the pre-launch of the upcoming Book An Adventure Bruny Island Children's Literature Festival.  The festival will be a fabulous event on Bruny from January 15-18, featuring Viking activities and a Viking longship, workshops with popular Australian authors and illustrators, and a swag of events around the themes of reading and writing for fun and adventure (read Hobart Mercury article here).  I'll be there as a general gofer and illustration workshop assistant.
Norman Jorgensen Skypes us


At the launch yesterday, young Vikings from the Bruny Island primary school arrived (literally to screams of excitement from younger members of the crowd) and entertained us with a great call-and-response performance.  There are some lovely photos of this on the Festival's Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/bookanadventure.  We also had a Skype hook-up with the Norse god Thor, also known as Norman Jorgensen, author of 'The Last Viking'.  Norman fielded questions about his books in characteristic style.  One student asked, 'How did you become an illustrator?'  'Me?' retorted Norman. 'I can't draw to save my life.  I draw stick figures and James Foley turns them into proper illustrations.  He's doing a book without me now.  I hate him.'  After this we had a ukelele singalong about dragons, Lian Tanner declared the festival open, and there was time to eat food and admire the exhibition of illustrations and books in a jar.  I don't know who made these but I thought they were great.



The festival is now open for bookings via its website.  It's very cheap to attend but be quick - space is limited, and beautiful Bruny Island fills up quickly in summer.

Still on the topic of seafaring, I rejoiced this week to learn that the new CSIRO research vessel Investigator has finally earned her stripes and received a nickname.  All Antarctic and oceanographic research vessels in Hobart have nicknames, bestowed by those who use and love them.  L'Astrolabe is GastroLab.  The old Ice Bird was called Ice Bucket.  Aurora Australis, thanks to her striking colour, is the Orange Roughy.  Now Investigator joins these proud ranks.

She's the Procrastinator, and may God bless all who sail in her.


No comments:

Post a Comment