Welcome

My photo
Hello - welcome to my blog about drawing, poetry, children's books, glass art and way too many other things. I’m an artist in Tasmania, Australia. I usually like a splash of science in my art. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Sudan book launch and ABC TV story

They're launched and away! 
Last Wednesday the team behind the Sudan books was interviewed by ABC TV, for a 10-minute segment on 7.30 Tasmania, under the title 'Sharing Stories from Sudan'.  We love the resulting video, which can be seen using this link to the ABC archives:  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-20/sharing-stories-from-sudan/5540234 (the sound doesn't work in every browser, but works in Internet Explorer). 
On Friday we had the launch at the Moonah Arts Centre, which was packed and standing room only!  There was a lovely atmosphere and somehow we fitted in a short film about the genesis of the books, a slideshow of Terry Whitebeach's photos of South Sudan, speeches, readings by Sarafino Enadio (narrator of the Boy book) and Paskalina Eiyo (narrator of the Girl book), singing by Paskalina, finger food and superb live music on traditional instruments provided by members of the Madi community.  The Writers Centre gave all the women in the creative team a huge and fragrant bunch of flowers - mine was the best bouquet I've ever had - and it was time to sign books.  I never made it to the signing table at the back of the room, as I had too many to sign while trying to walk there!
We're all exhausted but extremely happy.  A big thank you to the many people who came along to support the launch and the books.

Paskalina (left) sings and dances to the music of the Madi band
Left to right: me, Terry Whitebeach, Sarafino Enadio, Paskalina Eiyo and Chris Gallagher of TWC

Members of the audience

Marion Stoneman of TWC enjoys the music while selling books




I always wanted a wall covered in posters of my art!!!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Gay, what a long way from the science lab at Emerald High School! Wish I could have been there!
    Fiz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you can take the girls out of the science lab in Emerald High School, but can you take the science lab out of the girls?

      Delete