Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Monday, May 26, 2014

Art from Trash exhibition in the Long Gallery - don't miss it!

On Saturday I saw the fabulous annual Art from Trash exhibition, run by Resource Work Cooperative.  It's in the Long Gallery, Salamanca Arts Centre, Salamanca Square, Hobart and will run until June 4th.

I look forward to this event every year - it's one of my favourites on the art calendar - and it seems to get better and better.  This year's recycled artworks by adults and kids are bursting with raw creativity, humour, and ingenuity.  You can wander around for an hour, giggling gently or gasping in admiration at the unexpected uses of your unwanted household rubbish.  Have you ever imagined a beautifully coloured painting made entirely of bread bag tags? Or a barbed wire horse, or a gorgeous freeform lamp made of melted plastic bottles and wax crayons?

How about a nice pompom chandelier, pair of chairs and table?  These are just a few of the many gorgeous objects on display.  Go there now!



3 comments:

  1. Such fun, the horse is great but the hairy dog gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting! I'm really impressed with the artists' ability to "see" such amazing things with household refuse! So creative!!
    And thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I enjoy your visits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hairy dog was my favourite too Carole - I wanted to buy it! Then I remembered I have nowhere to put it. I wonder what it would eat?
    Mit, I am glad you're back online and doodling with us!

    ReplyDelete