Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Saturday, March 8, 2014

I've just picked a few kilos of tomatoes from the garden - coincidentally, while waiting for this painting to dry.  Of course, it's for 'When I was a girl in Sudan' - the main character is the girl in the centre.  They are growing bananas, okra, pumpkins, passionfruit and beans.  This book is set in a steamy and tropical part of South Sudan.
I could have put in some tomatoes, but I was determined to have a green and purple colour scheme, and tomatoes would have ruined it.
The picture goes with this border of passionflowers and chameleons:

One of the authors, Terry Whitebeach, photographed the chameleon standing on the road on her visit to South Sudan.  I was dying to get it in somewhere, and it was just perfect for this page.

4 comments:

  1. Gay you are a bit of a chameleon yourself, so many colours to your rainbow of talents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green and purple color scheme is outstanding! The color is so lively and vibrant. Fantastic! And the little chameleon is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these delicate little drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! I love the chameleon & passion flower border! And the main illustration is so lush & vivid! The limited color palette of greens & purples really works!

    ReplyDelete