Welcome

My photo
Hello - welcome to my blog about drawing, poetry, children's books, glass art and way too many other things. I’m an artist in Tasmania, Australia. I usually like a splash of science in my art. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Monday, March 24, 2014

By firelight

One of the challenges of the 'Girl in Sudan' book has been to paint several scenes by firelight - something I've never attempted.  This scene is at a distance, but I need to do a border design closer up showing firelit people with long shadows and a firelit village.  Perhaps some of those lovely chiaroscuro paintings by Rembrandt and Caravaggio will give me clues.  Coincidentally last week's Illustration Friday theme was 'spark'  - unfortunately, I missed it, but I plan to go and check other people's pictures.

For this dancing scene, I've just used some silhouettes and suggested a firelit ground, but perhaps I need some shadows here, too.  But there must be room for the text on the left!  These and other problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment