Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Monday, November 4, 2013

On the move

I read recently that thanks to global warming, all sorts of animals are migrating south to settle on our island.
So far we have got a marine stinger and a thing called the gloomy octopus.
Well, thanks a lot!  Couldn't we have something more charismatic in the line of megafauna?  I have an opening for elephants, lions etc as models.  Apply here.


3 comments:

  1. Was he gloomy before he was sent to Van Dieman's Land or after?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love this elephant! And it does sound like a rotten string of luck with your migrating beasts. On the other hand, a gloomy octopus might be really cool! I mean, I doubt they would have chosen that name for themselves. Also possible - they are a super cheery, ridiculously happy type of octopus, and the name is the sarcastic and/or jokey kind. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carole and Cindy, I have looked up the gloomy octopus and discovered it is from Sydney - perhaps that's the origin of its gloom! Seriously, I think it's just the colour (a mottled brown-grey) that has given it the name. Otherwise it is probably as happy as any invertebrate gets.

    ReplyDelete