Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Monday, August 12, 2013

Fresh

This is a painting I finished on the weekend for the Sudan picture book - which fits this week's Illustration Friday theme 'fresh' quite conveniently!
They have a wet season in South Sudan and things can grow quite luxuriantly.  In the next scene the river is flooded after too much rain, and the children must cross it.  I have nearly finished the illustrations and can't wait to see how it all comes together.  Julie Hawkins, the book designer, is doing a beautiful job of the layout.

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant composition Gay, the way that big dark cloud takes up half the page but simply frames the boys. Bravo, bravissima!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gay,
    Love the way you have that big black cloud coming over. Great job.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I must confess, I haven't visited your site for a long time.
    You have done a lot of fine artwork! Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guilty too. What's wrong with me? You're great.

    Love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is beautiful! Dangit, how did I miss so many posts? Longer hours at work. Is that a terrible excuse? Ah well, we do what we can. But I really love this! The color and composition are terrific!

    ReplyDelete