Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Farewell to glass

After more than fifteen years and three kilns, I've packed up my glass studio and distributed its contents to a dozen other glass artists, ceramicists, jewellers, buyers, home, a college, the tip shop, and the bin.
Strangely, I don't think I'll miss glass.  It's a wonderful medium.  Working with it taught me about colour, design, detail and finish;  how to develop an idea from crude initial stages to a more refined level than I'd ever envisaged; and how to use time and materials efficiently (not that I always did).  I've stopped making it partly because it's hard on my shoulder, but mainly I've given it up because I'm just too busy doing something even more satisfying - illustrating and writing.
Happily, I retain all the friendships that I made through glass, and the satisfaction of the things I've made, including my most enduringly popular collaboration - the jellyfish chandelier (left) which was the topic of my first blog post ever.  We had planned to make a glow worm cave, too, but alas, it's too late!!  I've pulled out of Off Centre gallery, but still have a few wee things at home if anybody is desperate for glass.  I'd rather illustrate your book, though.

4 comments:

  1. One door closes.......I'm glad I have a teeny tiny bit of your glass though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh you're quick ... I just posted that ... your book is on its way, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful launch! looks such fun! Can't help feeling nostalgic about the glass,but great things ahead,I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a big step! So brave of you! And if this means more illustration posts (for people on the other side of the world who can't go to your fabulous art events), then hooray! I'm sure it must have been hard but you have such a great attitude about it. :)

    ReplyDelete