Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lost

This is a painting of a recurring dream in which I'm lost in a strange city at night.  The streets are dimly lit and almost deserted.  I hurry along on foot, looking over my shoulder, seeking familiar landmarks, but there are none.  With every step I only seem to go further into unknown territory.
This dream is eerie, but nothing bad ever happens - I'm just lost.  I suspect that the dimly lit city is my brain and the streets that I wander are my neural circuits!
Artist Jesse Reklaw created a cartoon strip called Dreamtoons, based on other people's actual dreams.  Unfortunately his official website Slow Wave has been listed as an 'attack' site and unsafe, but I found a selection of his funniest Dreamtoons on this blog: http://hairygreeneyeball2.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/jesse-reklaws-dreamtoons.html.   The dreams are so ridiculous you just know they're real.  Three cheers for the subconscious!

11 comments:

  1. Gay, I can't believe the inside of your brain is this dark! Love the chook by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surrounded by dark stony buildings, filled with poeple you don't know, darkness, rain, the figure with the bent back, a perfect image of what being lost means!
    Thank you for your comment on my blog and I want to tell you what a great observer you are: Babs van Wely was my teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no Gail! That's a creepy dream. I love what you've captured especially the shadowy figure and the falling rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you welcome animals, as I feel a bit beasty before my morning shower! I know this feeling well too, esp. in the rain - ghastly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wonky curvy figure lends an real air of unease. the rain is brilliant and it is a very uncomfortable scene. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaah, I do not like bad dreams. No I sure do not. It's usually someone I really like being mean to me. Doesn't that sound super dumb? But it makes me feel terrible. On the other hand, I've sure had some dreamy dreams, so three cheers indeed!

    I love a cityscape! (Even a spooky one... though given my druthers I'd pick cheerful. Rainy even, to spooky.) You've done a great job with this one. I love the curve of the streets and that simple decorative landscaping. So cool! I really need to do a cityscape. I'm glad nothing else bad happens in the dream! Also, ugh, I'm sorry to hear your shoulder is still causing trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh also! The streetlights are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes. Edvard Munch got nothin' on you.

    I think I saw this Twilight Zone episode.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eerie dream but gorgeous illo - love the rain and the street lights and the wavy figure. In fact I just love the whole thing... beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, I hope it doesn't give you all nightmares. I don't usually channel Edvard Munch ... too much cheese for dinner probably ... Hedwig, I'm so envious to hear that Babs van Wely was your teacher, you lucky girl. Cindy, I will look forward to your cityscape!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eerie! Love the cityscape and the mood you've created with the rain! I'm not sure which is worse - you're recurring nightmare about being lost, or mine about my teeth falling out! (Somehow I don't think an illustration of THAT would be nearly as alluring as THIS!)

    ReplyDelete