Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Faded

I'm adding a note of explanation to this because a few people have asked me questions!  Yes, it's a faded Ronald with his arches, but I didn't realise they looked like angel's wings until someone pointed it out to me. I like the idea that future archaeologists will assemble the whole thing as an angel, though.

I drew it because I read that those lovely classic white Greek and Roman statues that we admire in galleries were gaudily painted when they were made ... which begs the question, will Ronald acquire dignity when he fades and his arms break off?

12 comments:

  1. The evil tempter, he who makes great fries, instigator of the great obesity epidemic that almost wiped out the western world, which reminds me, Time Team is on Aunty tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Time Team. They even have drawings by my hero, book illustrator from the 1970's Victor Ambrus! I didn't think of RM as the great tempter but that's a great interpretation.

      Delete
    2. Victor Ambrus was cool, I fear he has been replaced by some upstart with a graphic program!

      Delete
  2. heh heh. guess there are enough RMs around to make a terracotta army when reassembled. great take on the topic! I'm still scratching my head, so thanks for the inspiration to get on with it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gay, nice to blog to a fellow Aussie. What a great idea! I love the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny! I love your style. It looks like your characters are about to leap into action!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! Thanks for the laugh!! (PS - I immediately recognized the golden arches! What does that say about me?!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure about dignity with those feet! I really like the people in their wellies. Love that hairstyle on the left hand one, and her slightly confused expression. Such a great little scene and a great idea! Oh my gosh I am so behind this week I hope to get something done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are going to the SCBWI Conference, Gay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Marjory, I'm not this time ... although I really enjoyed the last one. I've met so many authors and illustrators and been to so many other events lately that I didn't feel the need - but I'll come up for another local branch meeting when I get a break & hope to see you there. Sounds like you are going to the conference?

      Delete
  8. Bravo,Gay! I hang my head in shame for not recognising Ronald. The generation gap is showing. This could begin a series. Mary L.

    ReplyDelete