Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Friday, March 23, 2012

Events for Australian illustrators

The Australian Society of Authors is organising a couple of good events for illustrators in May.  You don't have to be a member of the ASA to attend (despite what it may say in the publicity material).  I'm looking for people to attend in Tasmania.  Here's what's happening:

4th May is 'You show me yours and I'll show you mine', a day for illustrators to get together all over the country and show each other their portfolios, talk about their work and meet other illustrators from all sorts of genres... botanical, comic, picture book, you name it.  The time and venues for Tasmania haven't been organised yet, but an evening meeting at a pub or somewhere with large tables is anticipated - one in Hobart and one in Launceston if that suits people.  Once a few people register interest, the venue/s will be decided and posted.  If you're interested, please leave a comment or send me an email at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au.

23rd May is 'One Word One Day' in Hobart.  This event is taking place in capital cities all over Australia during 2012, and has already been run in Melbourne.  Illustrators meet in the ABC foyer in the morning and are supplied with a wide range of art materials by Micador.  A theme word is announced and everybody has 3 hours to create artworks on that theme.  The process is documented by photographers and writers, and the finished artwork is photographed and auctioned online to raise funds for the Indigenous Literacy Foundation.  It's a sort of win-win situation ... you meet other illustrators, you have fun, you get a little publicity and you raise funds for a good cause.  It costs $15 to be in it, which is not much - so please come along if you can.  To sign up, go to http://www.asauthors.org/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=ASP0016/ccms.r?PageId=10448 or phone the ASA on 1800 257 121 to sign up.

The organisers are seeking corporate sponsorship and would also find it very useful if you could go to their Facebook page and 'like' them:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Word-One-Day/361742690527315


2 comments:

  1. What neat events! I do live near one of the biggest US cities (Chicago) so maybe I'll look into this 4th May event. As for the rest, I would love to come to Tasmania, but currently my schedule and finances will not permit it. Oh, land of Gay and wombats (and probably some other things), perhaps I will visit you one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Cindy, I think it's just an Aussie thing, but I might be wrong. We DO have other things in Tasmania and you should definitely visit some time!

    ReplyDelete