Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Manatee

Oh dear, they've struck again - those kids with poor listening skills and a penchant for animals.  Last time they were driving their tennis coach nuts (link), now it's their mother.  I don't know how they caught the manatee - maybe with a jam jar and a bent pin.  Mum is taking it calmly.  She is used to those kids and already has a tank full of animals in the backyard. 
Did anyone grow up with American author/illustrator Elizabeth Enright's books about the Melendy family, written in the 1940's and 50's?  The Melendys were a lively lot who kept an alligator in their bathtub.  Those book were the most-read and tattered in my collection.  I think children would still like them.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Gay! (You know, I still almost call you Gail half the time. No idea why.) So cute as usual. It's so cool how you come up with a neat cartoon every time. And I can totally see it in the New Yorker or something. Love the little bathing suits! And your great, sketchy style.

    Oh my goodness! I thought the Melendy family sounded familiar (I had to look it up). One of my favorite books (and now I shall have to secure a new copy), The Four Story Mistake! I think it's safe to say if it was a great book, it's still a great book. I may have read a couple others but that was my favorite of the ones I had.

    Here's one thing I can't figure out about IF. I go back periodically, and I should be able to look at new things where I left off. But in some sneaky way, other ones I missed get mixed in with the ones I thought I'd seen. Crazy, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a nice illustration. I like your style

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet..there's a manatee in the shower. that's awesome. he looks like a funny manatee as well. i wanna write a kids book too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is hilarious. Exactly something my children would come up with! We love the Melendy Family. We tend even to be a little like them at times...;-) Thanks for the chuckles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iv'e never heard of the Melendy family. They sound like wonderful books, and I'll have to chase some down to read to my granddaughter.

    Great drawing as always. I just love the look on mums face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More Melendy fans - this is great! If anyone wants to hunt the Melendy books on Amazon, they were written by Elizabeth Enright in the 1940's and 50's (but reprinted, I'm sure) and are called The Saturdays, The Four Storey Mistake, Then There Were Five (I think - I never read that one) and Spiderweb for Two.

    ReplyDelete