Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lian Tanner's book launch "City of Lies"

What an exciting weekend.  On Saturday I had my first Salamanca Market stall of the season, and on Sunday went to the Hobart launch of Lian Tanner's new book, 'City of Lies' (second in The Keepers trilogy, which began with 'Museum of Thieves', winner of the 2010 Aurealia Children Fiction's Award). 

In keeping with the theme of Lian's book, people attending the launch were asked to wear masks.  I thought it would be nice to make a mask featuring one of Lian's characters and decided on the Brizzlehound, a dog that can appear as either a cute puppy or a fearsome hound.  At 9.30 am I was gluing together a mask with a different dog face on either side when the doorbell rang and there was my friend Julie.  "Wow, you're early!" I said, "aren't we going at 10.30?"  "It is 10.30," she pointed out, "daylight saving started last night."  Emitting cries of despair, I grabbed the wet mask and ran out the door.  The launch was very well attended with people arriving in masks and even (very creatively) in chains (there are some photos on the official blog, http://liantanner.com.au/whats-happening).  Two young readers gave glowing reviews and we all met Lian, who signed a mountain of books.  It was obvious that children love these books and are waiting impatiently for the third to come out.  Owing to my poor time keeping skills, I didn't get a photo of my finished mask, but this was the prototype.


Thank you to all those who braved the weather and visited fellow glass artist, Robyn Thomas, and me at our stall at Salamanca Market on Saturday (temperature six to twelve degrees, winds light to variable, showers random).  The hot coffee, German sausages, company and sales were all much appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a tough/great weekend.I was thinking of you while looking at the weather report over the weekend! The mask??????gotta read the book to see why you identify with the Brizzlehound. PS the daylight saving thing caught me out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun (mostly!). I would definitely have gone if I was in town (and hadn't been attacked by wombats). But I had a mild panic in the midst of reading this that I, too, had forgotten daylight savings time. Turns out I have another month to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really identify with the Brizzlehound - but it's such a clever concept of Lian's and I enjoyed the challenge... Cindy, ya gotta stop teasing those wombats!

    ReplyDelete