Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Illustration Friday: Scary


I'm pleased that this week's Illustration Friday theme is "scary".  A small scare is good for the soul.

I've just written a mildly scary story for the Spectator's competition number 2721.  The brief is to write a short story (150 words maximum) containing the following juicy words: rebarbative, solipsistic, lapidary, consequential, plangent, and gibbous.  Mine is about a surly jeweller who doesn't believe in werewolves.  If you want to have a go (or give it to your English class for an exercise), click here and scroll down for instructions.  You could win 25 pounds.

9 comments:

  1. Whoa, lots of scary! This character is much braver than I would be. Of course, if it was dark enough I would trip over the head of the rug monster (that has clearly come to life) and fall with a ridiculous crash into the suit of armor, waking every monster within eight miles.

    The wolf head would then crack me on the skull, and whatever is about to descend from the attic would have a good laugh at my expense and then do whatever nefarious deed it was on its way to do.

    Where was I? Oh yes, lovely drawing! I may have to look into that short short thing but it is too late at the moment for such things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gay, love the illustration... can't believe I have to go look up half of those words...will have a look at Spectator's comp...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... thanks Cindy & Catherine ... I haven't decided what is descending from the attic but I like the idea that it's going to do something nefarious. (I'm surprised you didn't mention the possibility of its being a wombat, Cindy!) Good luck with the comp. I think half the fun is seeing what other people come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found your name on the Cindy D. homepage. Wow! Nice blog, smart drawings !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's scary! Very nice lightning and lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. See that, I bring the people to you! I was afraid you were getting tired of the wombat thing, but don't think I didn't consider mentioning one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quite a good scare. lol..I'm grown up and I still find those stuffed animal heads to be quite creepy. Love your lines though...so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gay, Just got back from a lovely long holiday os and am catching up with all the news. Congratulations on winning the CYA Illustration comp; fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete