Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Friday, September 2, 2011

On the beach

With spring sunshine finally here, I've spent a few happy days going out collecting reference material for future illustrations.  I take a camera for backup, but I find a sketchbook is best.  Something about the act of sitting and drawing a scene for even five minutes fixes it in memory and leads to discoveries - birds landing in trees, unexpected footprints, dogs running along the beach.  This is a watercolour folktale illustration using a recent sketchbook scene from our local (romantically named) Goats Beach.  My sketch didn't have much information, so I was forced to keep the painting simple - not a bad thing.  I tried pre-tinting the paper with a wash of rose madder all over while wet.  It helped unify the painting and made the colours harmonious, but also flattened it a bit.
I did a warm up for this one by painting a couple of little postcard watercolours for my friend Carole, who sends me gorgeous hand-painted etegami.  To find out what etegami are ... here's the link to Carole's blog origa-me origa-me and to her etegami inbox with my watercolours (link), where she ponders on what makes something truly etegami!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the links Gay, I'm no expert on etegami but it is a nice almost old fashioned way of communicating.
    Nice illo,I also like to work from life but sometimes have to resort to photos, I think after a lot of drawing experience you are able to 'flesh' out the 2D images, really just an 'aide de memoir' I guess.
    You like 'Green Tea ' perfume too, wow! good taste.

    ReplyDelete