Welcome

My photo
Hello - welcome to my blog about drawing, poetry, children's books, glass art and way too many other things. I’m an artist in Tasmania, Australia. I usually like a splash of science in my art. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I've won the CYA illustration competition!

I'm thrilled to announce that I have WON this year's CYA illustration competition, which was judged by Zoe Walton of Random House.
The competition helps new illustrators by providing feedback and exposing their work to publishers.  My winning entry was a series of drawings for Claire Saxby's text, "SuperKate and her Magic Cape".  There was a choice of three texts for the competition and I was immediately attracted to Claire's, which was as fresh and bubbly as a glass of lemonade.  (I would say champagne, but that wouldn't be suitable for children).  It needed something light, and I thought it would most likely be published in black and white - so after trying various looks, I made the pictures very simple.  I'm really encouraged (and astounded) to have won using this approach, because this is the kind of work I would like to publish.  Thank you everyone who saw the news online and in Pass It On and got in touch - great to have your support.
 

9 comments:

  1. OMG! WOW! YOU BUETY! YOWZA! CONGRATULATIONS! You are on your way. may it lead you where you want to go. Hugs and best wishes to you and I want to say how great it is to see someone following their dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks origa-me for this enthusiastic response! It's been one of those happy successes to remember, and the author/illustrator community have been really supportive ... they're a wonderful lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. COngrats!!!! Love the story and the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, I'm so pleased for you.. great story and I love your illustrations... congratulations. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. A well-deserved honour, I'm very pleased for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Super amazing! Those are just the kind of drawings I remember from books when I was a kid. Well done! Hooray!

    (And I'm not just saying that because you were kind enough to warn me about the wombat menace.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, what is this author/illustrator community that you speak of?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again all - hi Cindy! I met a lot of children's book authors and illustrators at conferences during the past year - the CYA (Children and Young Adults) book conference in Brisbane, and the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) conference in Sydney - and we stay in touch. Also I belong to a local group & we meet regularly. SCBWI is a wonderful international organisation & worth joining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh, it all connects in my brain, Gay! I didn't realise you and the winner where the same person, lol.

    I usually take part in the CYA Conference in an MC (sort of thing) roll, but this year I was at the Ipswich Festival of Kids Literature (on the same weekend, unfortunately).

    I'm so glad to see your pictures that one on this site! Brilliant , and love your approach. Can't wait to see more of your work.

    From your new Brisbane-Hobart friend, Sheryl :)

    ReplyDelete