Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Friday, September 16, 2011

Illustration Friday: Boundaries

For Illo Friday (theme "Boundaries") and Web of Whimsy: here's an illustrated envelope I've just done for a competition at Omnibus Books.  Australia Post-approved envelopes have little boundaries in which to put the postcode, so I wanted to incorporate them in the design, and also the stamp if possible ... and get the address onto another part of the painting.  It was fun to think up something with these restrictions and I was delighted to find I had an old royal wedding stamp to add a touch of class to the aristocratic poodle.
The comp is inspired by a gorgeous collection of illustrated envelopes on the Guardian website (here).  Illustrators, if you want to enter, check out the details on the Omnibus Books blog, Onya Bus, top right hand side. You can see some of the entries in their post of 22 August.  Also, I found out about the comp on an excellent new blog for the illustration community, started up by Lil Kim (Kim Fleming): Illustration Station.  You can find or post opportunities there.

11 comments:

  1. what a fantastic piece - well done and glad you brought it to the whimsy pool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is so cute. Love where the postal code goes lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute as!!! I love your new header too reflects more where you are at now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way your composition works (specially the placement of the post code... :-) ) Thanks so much for posting all those links to different things. The illustrated envelopes are just WONDERFUL and the site for illustrators is quite handy too. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfully whimsical...perfect! popping by from WW and POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  6. How totally clever! I love the expressions on the dogs' faces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome and so whimsical ~ Great! ~ Share the Creative Journey (Carol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done, and the colors are magical!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting, and if you do any illustrated envelopes yourselves ... let me know, I wanna see them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I love any art that inspires, or is inspired by, good old-fashioned snail mail. Very cute theme and composition. Nicely done!
    (found you at the Whimsy challenge). :)

    ReplyDelete