Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Look! the art of Australian picture books today - a fabulous free exhibition


I've just passed through Melbourne on the way to the Port Fairy Folk Festival, and seized the chance to see the free exhibition Look! the art of Australian picture books today at the State Library of Victoria.  Don't miss it!! This is the best exhibition I've ever seen of original Australian picture book art.  There's a 30-minute video of different illustrators talking about their work, loads of superb original artworks by many of our finest illustrators, and a reading space with all the books.  I was knocked out by the original paintings of Shaun Tan, Anne Spudvilas, Freya Blackwood and many more, the amazing paper sculptures by David Miller and a huge underwater assemblage by Jeannie Baker.  You can check out the videos and artworks online here, but it's not the same as seeing the originals.  Interestingly, very little digital work was represented, although some artists have incorporated digital techniques into their traditional methods.  It's a feast of creativity, the only question left unanswered being:  'How do they ever make enough money out of it to pay for their time?!'

Click here for a page of images from the exhibition.

1 comment:

  1. This is so wonderful. I have to check this out. Thanks so much for sharing Gay!

    ReplyDelete