Welcome

My photo
Hello - welcome to my blog about drawing, poetry, children's books, glass art and way too many other things. I’m an artist in Tasmania, Australia. I usually like a splash of science in my art. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Illustration Friday - "Layer"

Here's a sketch for this week's Illustration Friday topic - "Layer".  I'm all in favour of layered things - moussakas, lasagnes, black forest cakes ... excuse me while I go to the fridge.  Nope, there's nothing in there but beer.  I suppose it could be worse.  The scene is from the Princess and the Pea:

In the morning she was asked how she had slept.
"Oh, terribly badly!" said the Princess. "I have scarcely shut my eyes the whole night.  Heaven only knows what was in the bed, but I was lying on something hard, so that I am black and blue all over."  Now they knew that she was a real princess, because she had felt the pea right through the twenty mattresses and the twenty eiderdown beds.

I think in my drawing she's also got a bad back.  I was hoping to get some granulation in the washes, having had a little rant to a friend recently about Lisbeth Zwerger's mastery of granulation.  Watercolourist Grahame Readshaw wrote a nice article about watercolour pigments in Australian Artist of June 1989.  He mentions two dramatic granulating pigment combinations -  ultramarine-light red  and burnt umber-viridian.  I only got the ultramarine to granulate a little, so will have to experiment more.  The very acid purple-with-green colour scheme is one I learnt from Mark Mitchell - check out his incredibly useful blog here.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely drawing! The colours are so fluid, and such an interesting take on the topic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful...love your writing about it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful style. I love the way you executed this illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, hope you had a good time at the markets.
    About the granulation, it usually happens to me when I don't want it. lol.
    BTW, have a beer for me!

    ReplyDelete