Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

In the land of squeezy bottles


Ha!  I've been having a lot of fun.  My latest illustration assignment for the London Art College was to design some buildings from squeezy bottles, and then expand this idea to create a city that might exist under the kitchen sink.  I loved this whole concept, and as I never clean out the cupboard under the sink (inefficiency can be an excellent thing), I had abundant material to work with.

The church is the Home Brand Rinse Aid bottle - I never appreciated before what a lovely, classic bottle that is! The critters under the sink appeared while I was doodling and seemed to be having a splendid time, so I let them party.   I also did this rather terrifying military installation in the desert based on a Sprite bottle and our recent Route 66 drive through the badlands of Arizona.





3 comments:

  1. The last one does it for me! Depth (as in perspective),inscrutable,slightly unnerving and a bonus dog (coyote?)what more can a good illustration want?
    What a cool idea, are you studying with those guys? or is it some kind of invitational thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm studying with them - it's a diploma in children's book illustration, and to pass you need to complete a series of sample briefs (as if from publishers) to gain experience. I think it's a good course, because apart from the instruction, the briefs give you a chance to try all sorts of things and find out what you really like/can do best. That IS a coyote - one ran across the road when I was driving in the desert (saw a road runner too! The US is just full of cartoon animals!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you mean like Homer Simpson? :P

    ReplyDelete