Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

SCBWI and Taronga Park Zoo



There's no rest for the wicked.  I've just come back from my second conference this month on children's book writing and illustration - the Sydney meeting of SCBWI (the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, known affectionately as Squibby).  SCBWI has about 23000 members world-wide, but there weren't 23000 people at the meeting, because it was the local Australian and New Zealand conference.  However, it was a large and friendly gathering and I'm extremely glad I went.  So much happened in the two days that I can't possibly record it all here, but in a few weeks all the news will be on the official website (click here).  Highlights for me included meeting numerous wonderful writers and illustrators, hearing talks by editors & publishers on the business side of creating children's books, and learning about grants and mentorships.  During a bit of down time before the welcome dinner, I went to Taronga Park Zoo to see the critters. These are a few samples... 


... and, I'll post soon what I learnt on creating characters at the Leigh Hobbs and Dave Hackett workshops at CYA earlier in the month.

5 comments:

  1. Even your quick sketches have 'personality'.
    Pleased the conference was a success.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carole, it's good you're back on deck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your sketches as well. They are beautiful and have lots of character. The line is beautiful!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by. Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gay, I'm Angie Tait . See you tomorrow in Redondo Beach, CA. I love your animal sketches. Can you teach me how to draw like that please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angie, it was great meeting you and Ben and seeing the whole family. I was supposed to teach you to draw animals, but you ended up showing me how to draw a werewolf! I like to draw from live animals best because they keep moving and it makes it look lively, and I try to draw lines that wrap right around the animal. Can you email me your werewolf drawing?? :)
    Gay

    ReplyDelete