Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a painter, glass artist, book illustrator and scientist. This year I'm training as a literacy tutor and teacher's assistant, combined with working in the studio and the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Monday, August 30, 2010

Children's book conferences, market dates and snow

First, a big thank you to my August market customers and glass buyers.  I won't be at Salamanca Market now until the end of September because I have two children's book conferences coming up:  the one-day CYA (Children & Young Adult) writing and illustration conference in Brisbane on Saturday 4th September, and the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) conference in Sydney from 17th-19th September.  I'm looking forward to attending talks by some leading writers and artists, and will post an update here after the conferences.

I wasn't at the market this Saturday either because we couldn't resist going to the Tasmanian highlands, which were covered in fresh snow.  I plan to do some paintings from this trip soon, but meanwhile, here are a few photos of what I saw.  I was reminded constantly of Kit Hiller's beautiful linocuts, which express so well the stark contrasts and formal decorative qualities of the Tasmanian landscape.   All photos are of the Cradle Mountain National Park.  Top:  Lake Lilla, centre: Wombat Pool; bottom: Cradle Mountain and Dove Lake.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful!
    Good luck at the conference, it sounds like a great opportunity, I wish I could go :)
    Lookinf forward for the updates!

    ReplyDelete