Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Glassblowing evening in Queensland

Queenslanders, I heard recently that the Sunshine Coast Hot Glass Studio (7 Pioneer Rd, Yandina, ph 07 5472 8822) is likely to close soon.  This is disastrous as it will leave Queensland without a hot glass studio and Australia with only a few remaining studios.  To keep the fire burning, there'll be a fund raising evening at the studio on Saturday 24th July from 6-10 pm with wine, canapes, fire twirling, glass blowing, and live music.  There'll be a lucky door prize - a chance to make your own glass paperweight.  The evening costs $45 but you can also support the studio by visiting Monday to Friday for only $2 to watch glass blowing.  Tina Cooper's glass blowing team will be having special daytime viewings on Tues 20th July for $5.  If you're near Yandina, do try to get to the studio and support the artists.  I always think of blown glass as particularly suited to Queensland - expressing the colours and organic forms of the coral reef and rainforest.  It would be a real loss to the arts if the Sunshine Coast studio shut down.

No comments:

Post a Comment