Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Friday, June 18, 2010

I'm on the Style File!

Good news this week! My work has been selected for inclusion in the Style File, a website that showcases Australian book illustrators. My page is now up and can be reached here and you can see fabulous work by all the artists on the site here.  This is one of the images they selected for my display from a possible eight.  I spent a happy evening making it - constructing a city out of paper and other objects, lighting it, photographing the shadows, and then hand-collaging the little vagabond onto printouts of the photos.  The glowing object at his feet is a cast glass heart that I made in the glass studio.  It was a fun way to make an image and ruffled up the corners of my brain a bit.  There's some great collage in modern picture books - I like the work of Tohby Riddle.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gay! congrats for inclusion into stylefile - that's fantastic and I'm sure will give you some great exposure.

    Thanks for your comment on my post on Watercolo(u)r Wednesday. Unfortunately I'm not going to Sydney as I figured LA was enough for one year! I'm sure I will make it there the next time though. Hope you have a fantastic time!!! Let me know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete