Welcome

My photo
Hello, and welcome to my art blog from Tasmania, Australia. I've spent time as a plant geneticist, teacher's assistant, painter, glass artist and book illustrator. I'm usually in the studio, the classroom or the lab. If you'd like to see more, please try the links to my folio page or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Seeing the elephant

 An illustration of how it can be hard to know what you've got hold of sometimes...

Update:
This posted comment by Anonymous was so delightful, I'm putting it here so nobody misses it.  And by the way, Anonymous, I know who you are.

A Bit Thick

How sad it is that 'pachyderm'
Has come to be the common term
For thick-skinned people, those we see
Lacking in sensitivity.
Obtuse in interpersonal dealings,
They disregard another's feelings;
They're callous, unsolicitous
And blind to their effect on us.
Impervious to embarrassment,
They get our backs up: we resent
Their cheek, their nerve, their brass, their gall...

But elephants aren't like that at all.
No, they're compassionate, patient, gentle,
Noted for tenderness parental;
Good humour animates their features;
They're one of nature's noblest creatures.
Their thick skin, though a literal fact,
Is figuratively inexact
For sentient beasts that shed a tear
As humans do. So when I hear
The elephant called a pachyderm,
I feel thin-skinned enough to squirm.

2 comments:

  1. I love this elephant ... not sure what part I have a hold at the moment but I am sure the bigger picture will emerge : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Bit Thick

    How sad it is that 'pachyderm'
    Has come to be the common term
    For thick-skinned people, those we see
    Lacking in sensitivity.
    Obtuse in interpersonal dealings,
    They disregard another's feelings;
    They're callous, unsolicitous
    And blind to their effect on us.
    Impervious to embarrassment,
    They get our backs up: we resent
    Their cheek, their nerve, their brass, their gall...

    But elephants aren't like that at all.
    No, they're comnpassionate, patient, gentle,
    Noted for tenderness parental;
    Good humour animates ther features;
    They're one of nature's noblest creatures.
    Their thick skin, though a literal fact,
    Is figuratively inexact
    For sentient beasts that shed a tear
    As humans do. So when I hear
    The elephant called a pachyderm,
    I feel thin-skinned enough to squirm.

    ReplyDelete